Monday, December 31, 2007

Second Life and Cloverfield




Here are a couple of new-ish things that have caught my interest lately:
1) Second Life, a 3-D virtual world created by its users, which they "inhabit" via their avatars. I think there must be the opportunity for me to make a lot of money from this somehow, but I haven't figured it out yet.

2) The viral marketing campaign for Cloverfield, a soon-to-be-released movie about a giant monster attacking Manhattan, told from the perspective of recordings made on personal video devices (think 9/11 news coverage meets Godzilla meets Blair Witch Project). "Cloverfield", by the way, may or may not be the actual title, and there is some speculation that it may be a Godzilla remake, though I doubt it. The roar, which I admit is Godzilla-esque, sounds like a foghorn slowed way down. For this reason, I wonder if it is perhaps a remake of, or inspired by, The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms, which was itself adapted from Ray Bradbury's short story, The Fog Horn (the story is about a huge dinosaur, the last of its species, mistaking the sound of a fog horn for one of its own kind). The movie has one of the most intriguing trailers ever, generating rampant speculation and a whole lot of buzz. Like many others, I hope the movie lives up to its trailer. More on this tomorrow. (Who knew my blog topics would include American kaiju?)

No comments: