Thursday, February 7, 2008

Roughing It

My friend Jonathan recently bought a painting at a garage sale for $1.50. I don't particularly like it, but he does, and it's inspired him to create his own low-cost gallery on his walls. This made me think of what a good bargain can mean to me.

When I go to Yosemite on my own, or with my brother, part of the enjoyment I get is from the fact that I can live on almost nothing and have a fantastic time. The feeling of being able to stay in a campsite for 12 bucks, and have breakfast, lunch, and dinner for under 20 (or less), that I can have a hot shower for two dollars and feel like a million bucks, somehow makes me feel young and that the world is full of good possibilities. Whereas if I pay hundreds and stay in a lodge room, it's nice but...something is missing. It's not the money savings, but a feeling of being more in tune with the real essentials of living well. Everything seems to have more flavor and excitement. A gluttonous feeling of waste slides off. I appreciate each thing more fully.

No comments: