Thursday, January 3, 2008

My Theory on Dragons and Giant Movie Monsters


People are fascinated by dragons. Tolkien knew: the worm fires interest, from Fafnir to Smaug to Ancalagon the Black. The more the Cloverfield monster is like a dragon - i.e., lizard like and (this is a must) breathes fire - the greater its chance of capturing the popular imagination. I'll grant that wings in this case are not a must, since a monster as big as a skyscraper that breathed fire and could also fly is just a bit much to take on.

You're all laughing at me, I know. But you just wait and see if my theory holds water. If movie studios asked my opinion more often before they dumped millions into their movies, I could help them make a lot more money. [Yes, I know that the coolest movie dragon ever, Vermithrax (pictured above right) was in a movie that only fared modestly at the box office. But it was Vermithrax that made it possible for that movie to attain the status of a cult classic rather than a forgettable flop.]

No comments: